What's the Best Temperature for My Water Heater?

Liên Đoàn Hướng Đạo Lạc-Việt Forums Public What's the Best Temperature for My Water Heater?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  VHung 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

VHung
    Keymaster

Just cross over a topic about the setting of water heater temperature: set the temperature too low to avoid burn (scalded) and save energy but the risk is far more then we anticipated.

The default manufacturing setting is about 140F (60C) (may vary depend on different brand)
    Below 120F is turn out good for some kind of bacteria growing inside your water heater & pipes that will infect the entire house thru dishwasher , shower… (and that is bad for us)

Here is ther info: there are two main and opposing risks:
    Too high, and users get scalded
    Too low, and you risk pathogens, particularly Legionella, which causes legionellosis (Legionnaires’ disease – one kind of pneumonia )

According to the paper Legionella and the prevention of legionellosis, found at the World Health Organization website, temperature affects the survival of Legionella as follows:

Above 70 °C (158 °F): Legionella dies almost instantly
    At 60 °C (140 °F): 90% die in 2 minutes
    At 50 °C (122 °F): 90% die in 80–124 minutes, depending on strain
    At 48 to 50 °C (118 to 122 °F): Can survive but do not multiply
    32 to 42 °C (90 to 108 °F): Ideal growth range

It’s time to double check the temperature setting in your water heater. 🙂

Source: http://lifehacker.com/whats-the-best-temperature-for-my-water-heater-1465372005

• This topic was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  VHung.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.